Modeling a Nephron 2018
In order to better understand the structure and function of a nephron, a 3-D model of the filtering apparatus will be created, labeled, and examined.
1. Brainstorm materials that can be used to create the model. Include any creativity or originality that may make your model stand out.
2. Bring materials to build the project within the announced dead-line(s). Include tools to build the model and a method of deliberating responsibility for bringing those materials / tools.
3. Create a method of labeling designated structures of the nephron and those items associated with the model.
4. Be prepared to be tested on the anatomical and physiological components of the model. Examination may come in the way of an oral quiz, written questionnaire, and/or presentation. A rubric will be used to evaluate the project. The assignment is worth 100 points.
· Follow all proper information and use diagrams provided when constructing the model.
· You and your team will be given allotted time to brainstorm not only what materials you will be using but how you are to build your model.
· Materials are not to be perishable food or any other organic items. Very little if no money needs to be spent on the project. Materials can be hand crafted or items just lying around the house / garage / basement /etc. Limit repeating the use of the same material to two types of structures.
· The model must be able to stand on its own or hang from a support of your construction.
· Various methods can be used to label your model including: fixed labels, typed key, background panel, or drawn diagram.
· Include a video explanation about the various parts of the model using “Aurasma” via tablet (tbd)
· Time will be given to construct the model in class. Except for the construction of the stand / support device, nothing involving the model is to be done outside of school unless given permission.
· Do not neglect proper vessel configuration: i.e. arterioles à capillaries à venules
· Feel free to illustrate, label, present how and where filtrates, water and/or hormones are absorbed, re-absorbed, or utilized on the model.
· At no time is any member of the team to ask for materials or tools from any staff member.
· The size of the model is to be at least 30 cm tall; but not to exceed 1 meter.
· This assignment will be a group grade so it is important that you work as a team and designate responsibilities and understanding of the project and subject appropriately.
· In order to fulfill the assignment, the team is to be responsible for incorporating and understanding the following:
Afferent Arteriole (enter Glomerulus)
Podocytes (creating filtration slits)
Efferent Arteriole (leave Glomerulus)
Bowman’s Capsule *
Proximal Tubule *
Loop of Henle: *
- Descending Limb
- Thin Ascending Limb
- Thick Ascending Limb
Distal Tubule *
* Only True Structures of a Nephron